IT is that time again guys! Summer is here and school is closed. Despite this, scholarships are already open for the different year groups, whether you'll be entering another grade or leaving to attend a different institution (High school or University).
It might seem hard for you to pinpoint that specific scholarship that is right for you, and it may also take up a lot of time. No worries, the writers here at teenAGE have you covered.
What you NEED to know about receiving scholarships
• If you are serious about receiving a scholarship then you have to devote your time and energy into filling out applications and not only filling them out, but also making sure that they stand out.
• Remember you cannot apply for just one scholarship! You aren't 100% sure if you'll receive it. It is best to keep yourself organised. If you have found more than one scholarship, make sure to write down the name of the scholarship, the amount its worth, the due date and whether you have applied or not to give you a sort of balance.
• Most students also fail to write excellent essays when asked the question 'Why are you deserving of this scholarship?' or 'How will this scholarship aid in putting your best foot forward?'. It is almost impossible for some to even write about themselves. All you have to do is:
1).Find out what most students write about
2). Write about something else!
It is that simple. Be unique as possible and highlight your personality in that essay.
• Last but certainly not least, recommendations. Many students get nervous when they have to ask a teacher or the principal for a glowing recommendation, but if you know you are a good student and you have a good relationship with your teachers there is nothing to worry about.
If you don't know where to look for scholarships, all you have to do is literally type in 'Jamaican Scholarships' in the Google search engine and ta-dah! A variety of local and international scholarships will pop up.
Below are just a few scholarships that are now opened for applications:
• Senior Common Room Anniversary Scholarship (visit www.uwi.mona.uwi.edu). The deadline is July 15, 2017.
• Credit Union Fund Management Company (CUFMC) Bursary (visit www.uwi.mona.uwi.edu). The deadline is July 15,2017.
• Courts Scholarship (www.courts.com.jm)
• Burger King Scholarships for different categories (visit ant Burger King Restaurant for application forms). The deadline is July 14.