Waterhouse's Ottey slams winner against old club

Monday, March 12, 2018



Allan Ottey scored the winner against his former club as Waterhouse FC grabbed three valuable points in a 2-1 victory over Montego Bay United, in yesterday's Red Stripe Premier League match at Drewsland Stadium.

Waterhouse took a 1-0 lead through Andre McFarlane's emphatic header in the 19th minute, but Lesly St Fleur's free kick evened proceedings in the 29th.

Ottey, the former St James High daCosta Cup star, restored Waterhouse's advantage with a tidy finish in minute 57.

The win lifts Waterhouse to fourth with 47 points with only two match days remaining in the preliminary stage, and places them in good position to earn a top six play-off spot.

Montego Bay, who stay on 41 points, fall to eighth, but are still in contention to reach the play-offs.

In breezy conditions on a very bumpy playing surface both teams struggled to string passes together during early exchanges.

Indeed, the opening 15 minutes crawled by with little excitement and scarcity of work for either goalkeeper.

But the game did eventually come alive when Mark Miller's curling free kick was met by McFarlane's powerful, downward header. Goalkeeper Zavhia Hutchinson was beaten and the back of the Montego Bay net rippled.

Montego Bay almost pulled level when Dino Williams found space and shot well from an acute angle, but Waterhouse custodian Kadeem Davis went down low to his right to push wide.

Moments later, the equaliser came when Montego Bay won a free kick of their own after Nicholy Finlayson was called for a handball. St Fleur stepped up to easily beat Davis with a low 20-yard effort as the teams entered the half-time break all square.

It was always on the cards that the sprightly Ottey could return to burn his one-time side. And he did exactly that, handing the hosts the ideal launch pad 12 minutes into the second half when he chested down a cross from Finlayson, and held off an opponent's challenge, before deftly sliding a shot beneath Hutchinson from a tight angle.

Waterhouse substitute Kemar Beckford could have put his team two goals ahead midway the second half, but he tugged his close-range shot wide after turning away from his marker.

It had little consequence on the outcome, however, as the hosts stood strong to withstand Montego Bay's late surge.



Waterhouse — Shawn Lawes, Ricardo Thomas, Nicholy Finlayson, Cardel Benbow, Allan Ottey (Kemar Beckford 68th), Mark Miller, Carlos Barrett (Denardo Thomas 69th), Keithy Simpson, Andre McFarlane (Carlos Wright 81st), Samar Rowe, Kadeem Davis

Subs not used: Akeem Chambers, Gary McIntosh, DeAndre Brown, Andre Leslie

Booked: A Ottey (51st)

Montego Bay — Zavhia Hutchinson, John Barrett, Ladale Richie (Winston Wilkinson 68th), Nicholas Stewart, Orlando McBayne (Jefroy Leslie 76th), Keniel Kirlew, Dwayne Ambusley, Jermaine Woozencroft, Dino Williams, Lesly St Fleur (Johann Weatherly 70th), Ronaldo Rodney

Subs not used: Deron Duncan, Omar Brown, Giovanni Reid, Anthony Marks

Booked: Nicholas Stewart (90+3)

Referee: Kevin Morrison

Assistant referees: Richard Washington, Rolonzo Bennett

Fourth official: Derron Davy

Match commissary: Anthony Gibbs

— Sanjay Myers