UWI clip Cavalier 2-1 to keep play-off hopes alive

Monday, March 12, 2018


The University of the West Indies (UWI FC) continued to keep pace with rivals in the run for a play-off spot after they condemned Cavalier FC to a 2-1 defeat in a keenly contested Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) contest at UWI Mona Bowl yesterday.

UWI FC, who came into the contest in ninth position, were desperately in need of the victory to keep their chances of making the play-offs alive, and they came out and executed accordingly through goals from Anthony Greenland (12th) and Ryan Miller (25th).

Captain Chevone Marsh (82nd) pulled one back for the youthful Cavalier team, who have found points hard to come by in recent times, as this represents their third defeat in their last five outings.

The win pushed the Marcel Gayle-coached UWI FC up to seventh position on 42 points, two behind Cavalier who have now slipped from fourth to sixth on 44 points with two rounds of games remaining in the preliminary phase.

Meanwhile, Tivoli Gardens (47 points) consolidated third position with a superior goal difference following a 1-1 stalemate with ninth-placed Humble Lion (40 points) at Effortville Community Centre.

Harbour View (45 points) moved up to fifth with a 2-0 win over 10th-place Reno FC (39 points) at Frome Complex, while Boys' Town came away 2-1 winners over Sandals South Coast in the battle of the relegated teams at Barbican Complex.

After a fairly even start to the contest,, the hosts gained the ascendancy and surged ahead when Andrae Bernal's gentle cross caught the Cavalier defence napping, as Greenland arrived to tap home.

The university team extended their lead 13 minutes later when Ryan Miller's free-kick picked out Bernal who faked custodian Peter Harrison before returning the favour to Miller, who fired into an empty net.

The score remained unchanged at the break despite Cavalier gradually coming to life, in the latter stages of the half, as they failed to breach UWI's defence.

Cavalier came out more spirited on the resumption and had their fair share of chances at goal, but we're kept at bay by UWI.

At the other end of the park, Miller's well-taken free kick from approximately 20 yards out on the hour mark came back off the woodwork, with Harrison beaten in goal for Cavalier.

And 13 minutes later Cavalier almost went further behind as defender Kamoy Simpson turned Zhelano Barnes' corner kick towards his own goal, and it took a quick response from Harrison to keep the ball out at his near post.

Cavalier eventually pulled one back eight minutes from time when Amal Knight did well to keep out Alex Marshall's effort, but Marsh was on hand to convert the rebound.

Bernal, who was instrumental in his team's victory, welcomed the three points.

“It was a good overall team performance... we knew we had to get the three points today so we came out to dig deep and we fought for it,” he said.

Cavalier head coach Rudolph Speid felt it was a too little too late for his team.

“We made some poor marking errors at the back in the early part of the game and conceded two, we changed in the second half and pulled one back but the second one just didn't come,” he noted.



UWI FC — Amal Knight, Taniel McKenzie, Deno Schaffe, Fabion McCarthy, Akeem Thenstead (Dawyne Smith 84th), Andrae Bernal (Stephen Barnett 78th), Ryan Miller, Anthony Greenland, Zhelano Barnes (Ramoun Reid 80th), Rochane Smith, Kemoy Atkinson.

Subs not used: Jabari Wallace, Davion Garrison, Abayomi D'Aguilar

Booked: Smith (27th), Greenland (90+4)

Cavalier FC — Peter Harrison, Chevone Marsh, Kamoy Simpson, Alex Marshall, Jamoi Topey, Omar Walcott (Kaheem Parris 35th), Nicholas Hamilton, Paul Wilson, Clifton Woodbine, Gadail Irving (Michael Spence 55th), Valdano Moulton (Nique Daley 78th).

Subs not used: Jeadine White, Sheldon McKoy, Orlando Brown, David Mitchell

Booked: Parris (71st), Simpson (90th)

Referee: Cardella Samuels

Assistant referees: Princess Brown, Melvin Reid

Fourth official: Doyen Tummings

Match commissary: Richard Nathan

— Sherdon Cowan