Sports

NBA releases Philippines' Clarkson for Asian Games

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


MANILA, Philippines (AFP) — Cleveland Cavaliers guard Jordan Clarkson will suit up for the Philippines at the Asian Games in Indonesia, the country's basketball federation announced yesterday, just days after the NBA said it would not release him for the event.

The National Basketball Association granted a “one-time exception” for the 26-year-old Clarkson and two Chinese players — Houston Rockets centre Zhou Qi and Dallas Mavericks forward Ding Yanyuhang — to represent their countries at the 2018 Asiad.

Born in the United States, Clarkson is eligible to play for the Philippines as it is his maternal grandmother's country of origin.

“This action of the NBA will no doubt cheer the hearts of Filipinos here and all over the world,” the Philippines' national basketball federation said in a statement.

The US league had earlier refused Clarkson permission to play in tournament, being held in Indonesia from August 18 to September 2.

The Asian Games are the world's largest multi-sport event after the Olympics, but are not among the competitions NBA players are allowed to participate in under an agreement between the league and FIBA, basketball's world governing body.

“My heart is full of gratitude for everyone who helped make this happen. See you all very soon!” Clarkson wrote on Facebook, and posted a photo of himself in a Philippines shirt.

A purported NBA announcement confirming the decision was posted on the website of its local broadcast partner, but could not be independently verified. The league's representatives in Manila could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Clarkson joined the NBA in 2014 and has a career average of 14.1 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.8 assists, most of them during a spell at the Los Angeles Lakers.

He played two games off the bench in the 2018 NBA finals against eventual champions Golden State Warriors.

The Philippines had originally withdrawn from the Asian Games men's basketball tournament after 10 of their first-team players and two coaches were hit with suspensions and fines after an on-court brawl with Australia at a World Cup qualifier last month.

The decision was later reversed after an intervention by the office of President Rodrigo Duterte.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT