Manchioneal, St George's to contest Portland Major League final

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!

Manchioneal , Portland — Defending champions Manchioneal and St George's, like they did last season, will once again contest the final of the Portland FA Western Union Major League football competition.

Manchioneal with a brace from Fabian Afflick defeated Sporting West 4-0 in their second-leg encounter and 6-0 on aggregate, at the end of their semi-final game last Wednesday at Jones Park.

In the second semi-final played a day later at Lynch Park, St George's rallied from a first-leg 1-2 deficit to hammer Ujama 4-0 for a 5-2 aggregate victory.

In Wednesday's game, Fabian Afflick (45th and 46th), Russean Brissett (67th) and Naje Wilson (90th minute) were on target for Manchioneal.

In an evenly contested game both teams started out adjusting to the conditions as Manchioneal attacked through Ryan Domar, Fabian Afflick and Odaine Bryan, but stout defending by Sporting West's Kaj Brissett, Jason Silvera and Romaine Campbell kept them at bay.

Just before the half ended Manchioneal took the lead through Afflick, after a number of missed opportunities, when he moved down the left flank, weaved his way into the penalty area before firing past custodian Deshane Carby.

Just as the second half started, Afflick picked up where he left off as he beat a defender as well as Carby, who had advanced from his goal area.

They took the lead later when substitute Brissett picked up the ball mid-way the Sporting West half, saw Carby off his line and fired past him.

Then just before full-time substitute Wilson beat the offside trap from a long pass and drilled home.

Winning coach Lamont Henry was pleased. “We are pleased with this performance and will be concentrating on this competition as we have not been doing well in the other league. The performance today was good and we are looking forward to the final.”

Meanwhile, Omar Henderson in the 22nd, Kemar Miller in the 36th, Bobby-Joe Huie in the 45th and an own goal in the 59th minute saw St George's home.

St George's took the lead and levelled the score on aggregate when Cordell Kennedy relayed to Omar Henderson and he moved into the penalty area and fired past a helpless Maurice Johnson.

They went further ahead when Javoy Belnavis picked out Miller inside the penalty area and he did the rest.

Just before the half ended St George's went further ahead when Javoy Belnavis shot from outside the penalty area beat Johnson but rebounded from the left upright and when it fell at the feet of Bobby-Joe Huie, he returned it with interest.

— Everard Owen

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon