Click here to print page

Lennon, Charlemont, Petersfield win big in Ben Francis KO

Thursday, November 08, 2018

MONTEGO BAY, St James — Former champions Lennon High, Charlemont High and Petersfield High scored big wins in yesterday's first round of the ISSA Ben Francis Knockout to book spots in next week's semi-finals.

Tyrece Harrison scored a hat-trick to lead Lennon High to a big 5-0 win over Old Harbour High at Juici Field, Ronardo Brown scored a brace for Charlemont High in their 4-0 win over Maggotty High at Dinthill Technical, and 10-man Petersfield High blanked former champions St James High 4-0 at Jarrett Park with Ruel Miller scoring a double before getting sent off.

In the other game, Port Antonio High edged six-time champions Glenmuir High 1-0 thanks a 12th-minute goal from Andrew Layne in their game at Carder Park.

Glenmuir High ended their season with four straight losses and winless in their final six games. The former schoolboy kingpins lost all three games in the quarter-final round after they had drawn both games in the second round, but managed to advance on the away goal rule.

At Juici Field, Harrison bagged a three-timer as Anthony Johnson and Ricko Edwards added one each for 2016 champions Lennon High against hapless Old Harbour High, who ended the season winless in their last five games.

Lennon High finished third in their quarter-final group that included Dinthill Technical and St Elizabeth Technical, looking forward to a cold return to the finals for the second time in three years.

At Dinthill Technical High in Linstead, Brown bagged a brace and Howard Barker and Darren Wildman got one goal each for Charlemont High who are chasing their first title at this level.

At Jarrett Park, Petersfield, who had lost all three quarterfinal games, rebounded with a morale-boosting win over a listless St James High who were playing without some of their top players.

Things took a turn for the worst for St James High as second-string goalkeeper Manqueso Gordon, who started the game, was injured just on the stroke of half -time, and without a reserve on the bench, coach Garfield Anderson was forced to put centre half Malleco Holness in goal for the second half.

Ruel Miller scored twice for Petersfield, who will play in the semi-finals for the first time.

Miller gave them the lead from the penalty spot in the 16th minute after Jay Jamieson was fouled by Tevin Fuller.

It was 2-0 in the 31st minute when Gordon misplayed a long, looping ball from Devon Williams from near to the half line and the ball sailed over his hands and into the goal.

Miller scored his second in the 66th minute when his shot hit a St James High defender and deflected past Holness at his near left post.

Shewayne Barton, who had come on as a second-half substitute, added the fourth in the 72nd minute when his low, hard free kick from about 22 yards beat Holness.

Miller went from hero to villain after he was sent off in the 76th minute for retaliation.