Dunbeholden go top as Barbican hold Mount Pleasant

Monday, June 11, 2018

Picture Picture Picture Picture

Barbican FC came from behind to secure a crucial 1-1 stalemate against Mount Pleasant FA, in a lukewarm third-round Magnum/Charley's JB JFF Premier League Play-off at Drax Hall in St Ann yesterday.

Kesslan Hall sent Mount Pleasant Academy in front in the 66th minute, but Akino Bailey pulled one back in the 83rd minute to ensure Barbican a share of the spoils.

With the point, Barbican inched up to five points, two behind new leaders Dunbeholden FC, who hammered the hapless Wadadah FC 4-0 in the other contest at Dunbeholden complex.

Mount Pleasant remain in third on four points, while Wadadah are rooted to the bottom without a point.

After playing out a pale, goalless first half, both teams came out more purposeful on the resumption and started to look a bit more threatening in the attacking third.

It was Barbican who took first swipe at goal on the hour mark when a weighted free kick from Mario McDonald picked out Dashawn Morrison, who steered his header just wide of the upright at the far post.

Mount Pleasant responded shortly after the introduction of Shaquel Notice, who injected some tempo in the team's probe for the go-ahead goal.

It eventually came when Notice's long pass released Hall behind the defenders, and the striker made no mistake with a powerful left-footer past custodian Nicholas Campbell.

From there Mount Pleasant reverted to defending and that allowed Barbican to take control of possession as they went on the hunt for the equaliser.

Veteran Locksley Thompson combined with Bailey in opening up the opponents' defence, and the latter capitalised in putting Barbican back on level terms with a well-taken left-footed strike from inside the arc which left custodian Babiande Evans no chance.

Barbican ended the game with 10 players after goalscorer Bailey was shown a straight red card by referee Cardella Samuels in the 86th minute, for a reckless challenge which left Latroy Laing bloodied.

Mount Pleasant could have capitalised on the numerical advantage to walk away with all three points, but Hall, who found himself in a one-on-one situation with Campbell, hit his effort straight at the advancing goaltender on the stroke of full time.

Paul “Tegat” Davis, head coach of Mount Pleasant, lauded his team's effort despite falling off target of three points.

“It was a good showing because last week we were a bit lacklustre but today we put in a much better performance; there was just a little lapse and we gave up the equaliser.

“We wanted the three points but we got one, and we will take that for now and handle business when we play the leaders next week,” he told the Jamaica Observer in a post-game interview.

Meanwhile, assistant coach of Barbican Jeremy Miller felt his team did enough to win the game but was fortunate to leave with a point after a lapse in concentration.

“I think we had the better of play but we allowed Mount Pleasant to come back in the game and they got the go-ahead goal. but we showed real heart and determination to come back and equalise, so a point is better than nothing right now, so we will take it,” he shared.