'Sub Zero'out in the cold after El Sinawi knock-down in Contender Series

Observer writer

Friday, April 20, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!

Team Canada's Waseem El Sinawi scored an expected yet stunning second-round technical knockout victory over local boy Ramel 'Sub Zero' Lewis to give Team Canada their first win in the Jamaica vs Canada Wray & Nephew White Overproof Contender Boxing Series at the Chinese Benevolent Association on Wednesday night.

Despite the Lewis loss, Team Jamaica continues to lead the preliminary stage of the $3-million welterweight series 2-1 after three fights.

Devon “Concrete” Moncriffe of Team Jamaica is set to face Team Canada's Daniel Roach next Wednesday at the same venue in fight four of eight in the preliminary stage.

In Wednesday's feature bout, the end of Lewis came at 2:34 seconds in the second round of the five-round welterweight contest, even as the vanquished started the contest in aggressive fashion.

However, in the second round after sizing up Lewis, the vastly experienced El Sinawi as an amateur waded into his opponent and took him out of the contest. A left uppercut along the way could have started the demise of Lewis and the Canadian, who was winning for only the second time as a pro, finished off his opponent with some stiff right hand blows to the face that dropped Lewis for another standing eight count.

This followed after Lewis had struggled to his his feet after this first knockdown.

And before Lewis could catch his breath, El Sinawi was upon him again and put him down this time to his knees and elbows. He again rose to his feet, but could hardly raise his hands in response to referee Owen Nelson's command.

By this time, referee Nelson thought it wise to save the fighter from further punishment and decided to end the carnage there and declared the contest over.

El Sinawi was then declared the winner with 26 seconds still remaining to complete round two of five.

El Sinawi declared that winning his first fights fits into his broader goal. “I came out here to win this whole tournament and I hope when I return I can continue from where I left off,” he said.

A disappointed Lewis admitted a lapse on his part resulted in his defeat.

“I dropped my hands and get caught in the second round, but despite this I could have continued. I told the referee that I was alright, but he stopped the fight,” Lewis lamented.

Earlier in the two-fight amateur welterweight undercard going three rounds each, Marvin Seri of Oracabessa Gym stopped Joel Wedderburn of St Thomas Gym in 1:20 seconds of the first round to win in one.

In the other, Daniel Hylton of Stanley Couch Gym stopped Anthony Burks of St Thomas Gym at 1:46 seconds of round two to win the second match.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon