Thrilling rally! Germany fight back to defeat Aussies in hockey semis

Friday, August 10, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!

LONDON, England (AFP) — Defending champions Germany staged a thrilling fightback to defeat world champions Australia 4-2 and reach the Olympic men's hockey final yesterday.

For the first two-thirds of the match, the Aussies had often looked the better team, but a controversial disallowed goal fired up the Germans who came back spiritedly from 1-2 down with three dramatic goals.

Germany were obliged to their goalkeeper Max Weinhold for two courageous saves in the first half, both from penalty corners.

But he could not stop the Australians taking the lead when Glenn Turner, his shaven head gleaming in the sun, worked acres of space for himself on the left, cut in and shot hard.

Weinhold did manage to block it, but the rebound found Kieran Govers, bombing in down a centre right channel, and he scored with a flourish.

The lead lasted only three minutes though. Matthias Witthaus did well to weave into the penalty area, and after the ball hit an Australian foot, he won a penalty corner.

Taken by Florian Fuchs it was rammed home by Moritz Furste.

Early in the second half, Australia had the lead again when the Germans got into a defensive muddle.

Weinhold appeared to have saved well again, but still the ball was not cleared, and Turner thwacked it in from a few feet.

But the match turned around after Germany were denied an apparently brilliant equaliser, for dangerous play.

Korn's perceptive lofted pass was deftly controlled mid-air by Oskar Deecke and with a little aerial juggling, he nudged over the goalkeeper.

But it did not count and after four Germans failed to get the referee to change his mind, the Olympic champions seemed to be fired up by the perceived injustice.

Very soon Tobias Hauke split the Australian defence with a diagonal ball from the left, putting in Witthaus to equalise, and within a few minutes Germany had a two-goal lead.

First the Germans stopped play and asked for a video review which showed an Australian foot touching the ball inside the penalty area, and the resulting penalty corner brought a goal.

Ben Wess took it and elder brother Timo Wess scored from it.

After that he Australians were forced to press hard and from an inevitable breakaway Fuchs made a place in the final safe with a fourth goal.

"It was the kind of passionate game you need in a semi-final. There was some great hockey," said Germany coach Markus Weise.

Australia coach Ric Charlesworth said his team paid for a soft error.

"But the goal which got Germany back into the game came from a soft turn-over in midfield. You can't do that against the Olympic champions," he said.

Pakistan twice fought back from a goal down to defeat South Korea 3-2 and claim seventh place while New Zealand clinched a 3-1 win over Argentina for ninth spot.




Do you support the Gov’t giving US$200,000 towards staging the Racers Grand Prix 2017? 

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon