What you should do if your passport with visa is lost or stolen


Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!

Question: What should I do if my passport containing my valid, US non-immigrant visa has been lost or stolen?

A. It can be frustrating to deal with replacing lost or damaged documents. If your passport containing a US visa is lost or stolen, please start by contacting your local police station and obtaining a police report for the lost passport and visa. You may then report the loss to our Consular Section Fraud Prevention Unit, via e-mail at

Attach a lost or stolen visa reporting form, the police report, and a copy of your identification to your e-mail. You may download a PDF version of the form from our website or request a copy by e-mail at the above email address. The web address for the form is Note that this e-mail address will not answer queries related to visa applications.

If you want to travel to the United States, you will have to apply for a new visa. If you do so, you should also present the completed lost or stolen visa reporting form and a police report at the time of your interview. Please note that you will have to obtain a new passport, complete a new visa application, pay the application fee, and schedule an appointment to obtain a new visa. Visit or our embassy 0website at for more information on how to apply.

Once you have reported your passport and visa lost or stolen they cannot be used to travel to the United States, so be sure to search for them first! Even if you subsequently recover your documents you will not be able to board a flight to the United States. This is true even if you have only reported the passport and not the visa, as the documents will be flagged. This is done for security purposes and to protect your identity.

Question: What if my passport is okay but the visa is damaged?

A. If your visa is damaged, you will need to apply for a new visa, following the steps articulated above. It is important to ensure the integrity of the document, and airlines may deny you boarding for even seemingly minor damage, such as a child scribbling on the page.

You can find more information on our website,




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon