US citizens can stay outside that country indefinitely

Ask the US Embassy

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!

Q: I am a naturalised US citizen and have dual nationality with Jamaica. How long can I stay in Jamaica?

A: A US citizen, whether naturalised or born in the United States, can stay out of the country indefinitely without having to worry about losing their citizenship. Citizens are still required to file taxes while overseas, however, and for more information on this please go to

Another consideration is how long you may stay in the country you are visiting if you are not a citizen of that country. Many places limit the length of stay, and visa requirements for visitation vary depending on where you are going.

In general, though, you should always be sure you have your US passport, with validity of at least six months past your date of travel. For more information on specific countries, the State Department's Consular Information Programme informs the public of conditions abroad that may affect their travel, safety and security.

Country-specific information, travel alerts, and travel warnings are vital parts of this programme, as are requirements for visas and passport validity.

Country-specific information is available for every country of the world. You will find the location of the US embassy and any consular offices, information about whether you need a visa, crime and security information, health and medical considerations, drug penalties, localised hot spots, and more. This is a good place to start learning about where you are going and can be reached at

Q: What if I am a legal permanent resident?

A: Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) are not US citizens, and while you have rights allowing travel to and from the US, you are expected to live primarily in the United States. In brief, however, an LPR who resides outside of the United States for more than 365 days will lose their status, unless they have received a re-entry permit prior to leaving the United States, or can demonstrate to the satisfaction of a consular officer that the absence was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond their control. We covered this topic extensively in our May 8, 2017 Ask the US Embassy column; or if you would like detailed information, you can go to

You can find more information on our website, or by visiting . Keep on top of Embassy news on our Facebook page, and by following @USEmbassyJA on Twitter . We also answer general visa questions on our Facebook and Twitter pages.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon