Full Site

Sun, 19 Nov 2017 03:00:12 -0500


Home | News | Sport | Entertainment | Business | Cartoon | Other Sections

News


Police commissioner orders investigation into mother's arrest

Saturday, November 11, 2017

HOT on the heels of the Court Management Services denying reports that a court ordered the arrest of a mother whose son was allegedly assaulted by his schoolmates in Trelawny recently, Commissioner of Police George Quallo has instructed the Inspectorate of the Constabulary to investigate the incident which led to her arrest.

In a statement yesterday, Commissioner Quallo said he has also directed members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force Chaplaincy Branch to make contact with the mother and the family, to offer any assistance it can.

The mother was reportedly arrested after going to the police station to report that her seven-year-old son had been assaulted by schoolboys at the Clark's Town Primary School in Trelawny.

On Thursday, the Court Management Service moved to correct reports in the media that instructions were given by a nearby court for the mother to be arrested after her behaviour caused a disturbance while the court was in session.

“There was no such order from the presiding judge or the court in relation to the matter, neither was there any instruction that the mother in question be arrested,” the Court Management Services said.

The Ministry of Education has also taken note of the incident at the school.

In a statement on Thursday, Education, Youth and Information Minister Senator Ruel Reid said that a thorough probe will be carried out at the Clark's Town Primary School.

He said the ministry, through its regional director and education officers, will constantly monitor and report to him on the situation as the investigation unfolds.

The statement also noted that, based on preliminary reports, the minister thinks the matter could have been more efficiently handled as it relates to the care and protection of the children involved.

The ministry said coming out of a meeting that was convened by the school board on Wednesday, it was agreed that: Immediate training of the school board was to be organised by ministry personnel to adequately empower the school board with the skills set, knowledge and guidelines that govern child care and protection and critical incidents, in general; the principal is to recruit a suitably qualified applicant for the position of school security officer; and an educational social worker is to conduct a social enquiry report on the parties involved.

The Ministry of Education said it is awaiting the official findings and recommendations of the investigations from both the Office of the Children's Advocate and the Child Development Agency.

The minister is also awaiting the formal report from the school board and, according to the release, action will be taken in accordance with the code of regulation.



SHARE THIS: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter




comments powered by Disqus

More news


More...


Home | Lifestyle | Teenage | Regional | Environment | Editorial | Columns | Career | Food | All Woman | Letters | Auto | Video | Weather | Contact Us


Mobile | View Standard Version

Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy

Subscribe to our RSS Feeds
twitter Follow us on Twitter!


Copyright © 2012 Jamaica Observer. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.