News

Jamaica identifies 30 Windrush cases

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


THE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade has referred 30 cases related to the Windrush immigration scandal, which has affected scores of families, to the British High Commission, State Minister Pearnel Charles Jr has said.

Speaking at the Sixth Biennial Jamaican Diaspora UK Conference last Saturday, Charles Jr said that of the 30 cases, 20 were as a result of advertisements that were placed in the press and on social media. He added that so far two people on this list were granted visas to travel to the United Kingdom.

Charles Jr said that the ministry, through the Consular Affairs Department and the Jamaican High Commission in London, continue to actively monitor developments to communicate its responses and advice to nationals.

“The ministry has consulted with stakeholders, including the British High Commission in Kingston, the National Organisation of Deported Migrants, Open Heart Shelter in Montego Bay, and Open Arms Shelter in Kingston, in order to identify individuals who may have been deported and are eligible for their cases to be reviewed,” he said.

He urged those affected by the Windrush scandal to make contact with the ministry in order to be better informed about how to pursue their cases. He also used the occasion to pay tribute, on the behalf of the Government of Jamaica, to the Windrush generation for their “bravery, endurance and tenacity”.

The Windrush generation, named after the ship that took the first group of West Indian immigrants to England in 1948, was invited to work in Britain after World War II.

They received indefinite leave to remain, but many who later failed to get their papers in order have been targeted by immigration laws intended to create a “hostile environment” for illegal immigrants.

In the meantime, Charles Jr said that the ministry has secured the continued commitment of UK Home Secretary Sajid Javid in resolving the Windrush problem and that this pledge was made to him by Javid during in a meeting held yesterday at the UK Home Office.

According to the minister, the home secretary advised that based on the commitment, the work of the Commonwealth task force will be ongoing and the waiver of fees will continue indefinitely for the Windrush generation, pre-1973. Legislation has also been drafted to change the law to introduce the Windrush Settlement Scheme, which will streamline the process utilising a single form.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT