Johnson Smith reports 82% decrease in number of J'cans refused entry to T&T

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!


KINGSTON, Jamaica — Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Kamina Johnson Smith this morning reported a year-on-year reduction in the number of instances involving Jamaicans being refused entry into Trinidad and Tobago.
In fact, she noted that between March 2016 and March 2017, the ministry recorded an 82 per cent reduction in the number of cases.
Johnson Smith said only one Jamaican has filed a report since January of this year.
The minister was giving quarterly updates on her portfolio at the ministry’s office in New Kingston.
Jamaica’s relationship with Trinidad and Tobago hit a low in March last year, with comparatively large numbers of Jamaicans not being landed and complaints of mistreatment by immigration officials.
At the time of that report, the ministry said it would formally launch the first in a series of flyers on the Caricom Single Market and Economy, including flyers on free movement and offering Jamaicans tips on travelling within Caricom. That was done in January of this year.
Johnson Smith at the time said the flyers could help Jamaicans to understand what they should do in preparing to travel to Port of Spain, who to turn to if they have a problem, and things they should be aware of regarding working and overstaying.
Kimone Francis

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT