Wednesday, February 10, 2016
St Thomas teen released in killing of 39-y-o manSaturday, May 04, 2013
KINGSTON, Jamaica - Police yesterday released one of the two teenagers held following Thursday’s incident in St Thomas where a 39-year-old man was chopped to death after he reportedly attempted to rape them.
Deputy Superintendent Charmaine Shand said the teens, ages 16 and 15, were brought before the court Friday and the elder of the two released following the ruling of a Resident Magistrate.
“The other female has been remanded and is to appear before the court on Monday where the judge will rule whether she be released or held further until investigations are completed,” Shand told the Observer.
Police say that they are also putting together a file to submit to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for an overall ruling on the case.
Police reports are that 39-year-old vendor, Philip Bell otherwise called ‘Bell Boy’ of Blacksmith Lane, Seaforth, St Thomas was chopped to death after he allegedly made an attempt to rape two teenagers in St Thomas.
Constabulary Communication Network (CCN), the police information arm, report that about 4:40 pm, two girls of St Thomas addresses were reportedly lured to Bell’s house to use his computer.
"Bell allegedly attempted to rape the girls when one of them in defence, used a machete to chop him," the report from the CCN stated.
The Police were summoned and Bell taken to hospital where he subsequently died.
The incident has since sparked shock and left several persons expressing mixed views over the incident.
Yesterday sources from the parish said emotions overflowed yesterday as the two females were brought before the court where students from their school had gathered and broke into tears.
“It was a very sad case when the students from the school, where the girls attended, saw them being brought before the court,” the source said.
Meanwhile as the investigations continue, police source said information has emerged that Bell was last year arrested for murder but his case was dismissed in the circuit court.
Home | Lifestyle | Teenage | Regional | Environment | Editorial | Columns | Career | Food | All Woman | Letters | Auto | Video | Weather | Contact Us
Mobile | View Standard Version
Subscribe to our RSS Feeds
Follow us on Twitter!
Copyright © 2012 Jamaica Observer. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.