Get the Look
Your Get the Look team sat down for a chat with stylist Elizabeth Langdon who proposed a unique way to add a pop of colour to your hair — feather hair extensions. Though unconventional, this funky trend is the ideal way to create a dramatic impression, especially for carnival. Not only can you get this look in seconds, but it stays securely in place for months.
* Feather bundle or single feathers
* Extension crimp bead
* Hair extension (wire) threader
* Hair glue (to be used as an adhesive if a feather bundle is used)
* Part your hair about a half an inch from your usual styled part.
* Lift the parted hair and secure it with a clip. Select a small portion of your hair where you wish to put the feather extensions.
* Swoop hair through the threader, then hold the bead and pull the wire down until your hair is threaded through the bead.
* Remove the wire and place aside.
* Slide the bead to the root of your hair.
* Insert feathers into the tip of the bead. Ensure that the feathers are on top of the threaded hair.
* Use small pliers to clamp down on the bead to secure it in place (the bead should rest flat against your scalp).
* Gently pull the feather bundle to ensure it is securely in place. Re-clamp with your pliers if they move.
* To remove: press the bead to the sides, opening the hole. Gently pull the feathers out.
Tips and Facts:
* If you are scared of getting feather extensions, try a clip-on extension instead.
* Beaded feather extensions are semi-permanent and last for up to four months.
* If the extension is removed properly it should not damage your hair in any way. The silicon layer is made especially for hair.
* Hair can be curled, combed and washed with the extension in.
* The dyes used to colour the feathers are non-toxic and should not bleed when washed.
* Feather length varies from three to 23 inches.
* The look is suitable for all ages.
She has applied feather extensions on singers Tami Chynn and Lady Patra, as well as media personality Miss Kitty who had nothing but rave reviews.
"I heard about it from a friend of mine and thought it was a unique idea so I tried it for a taping of Magnum Kings and Queens of Dancehall. I thought it was very professionally done and I got such good feedback that I decided to keep it in my hair for about two weeks," explained Miss Kitty.
"I just always wanted to try it (feather extensions) because I knew it was on-trend. I was so thrilled when I saw Elizabeth doing it at Market at the Lawn. I had it in for about two months — I even styled my hair with it in. I also think it is a fun way for persons to try highlights if you are scared of damaging your natural hair. Feather extensions are the perfect way to add a pop of colour!" exclaimed Tami Chynn.
All jewellery used on the shoot was also designed by Langdon.
Do you like the make-up technique done for the shoot? Here a few steps you can use to get this festive look for carnival.
* Match the complexion of the skin with a crème-to-powder foundation by Iman.
* Set the foundation by lightly dusting the face with face powder.
* Use bright pigments for the eyes.
* Apply a purple liner by Milani for the bottom of the eyes to create a smoky effect.
* Gently place crystals on the side of the face and secure in place with Spirit Gum liquid adhesive.
* Line the lips with Tiki-Tiki pink liner by Milani
* Apply a pink lipstick by MAC and finish by using a Milani lipgloss.
Shot on Location at:
Yoga Angels Jamaica
(at Dream Spa Jamaica)
27 Millsbrough Avenue
Feather Extensions by:
Leather Lizzy Ltd
PO Box 111
Telephone: 296-3219/ 836-9152
Tamika Hoo Kim
Tamika's Hair and Nails
20 Phoenix Avenue