Windies taking proactive approach, says Holder

Monday, January 15, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) — West Indies captain Jason Holder says planning has already begun for the ICC World Cup qualifiers in March, as the Caribbean side looks to book their spot in the 2019 one-day showpiece in England.

The schedule for the much-anticipated qualifiers was released by the International Cricket Council on Monday, with West Indies installed in Group A along with Ireland, the Netherlands, Papua New Guinea and the winners of the ICC World Cricket League Division 2 tournament from February 8-15 in Namibia.

“We see this as a very important tournament,” the 26-year-old Holder said of the March 4-25 campaign in Zimbabwe.

“We all know the magnitude and importance of this event as we look to qualify for the World Cup in the United Kingdom next year.

“It will be a challenge and we sat down and have formulated plans as to how best to approach the tournament.”

West Indies open their bid on March 6 against the yet-to-be-determined WCL Division 2 winners before taking on Papua New Guinea two days later.

On March 10, they face their sternest test of the competition against Ireland before wrapping up against the Netherlands.

Group play will be on a round-robin basis, with the top three advancing to the Super Six stage, where each side will then play three matches against the sides they did not meet in the group stage.

The top two teams will qualify for the final and also book their spots at the World Cup.

Holder, who has led West Indies in ODIs for the last three years, said it was important his side approached the tournament with an aggressive mindset.

“It will be short and we will treat every match as a must-win game,” the all-rounder pointed out.

“With three teams from each group moving into the Super Sixes, and the top two moving to the final – thereby earning a spot at the World Cup – there is all to play for.”

Two-time former World Cup champions, West Indies were forced into the qualifiers after missing out on direct qualification because of their ninth-placed ranking in the ICC charts.

England as hosts, and the remaining top seven in the rankings, qualified automatically for the showpiece, set to run from May 30 to July 15.

West Indies had entered 2017 battling to achieve the number eight spot but lost 16 of 22 ODIs in the calendar year while winning just three matches, to remain rooted in ninth.

Last September, they were beaten 4-0 by England in a five-match series and were whitewashed by New Zealand in a three-match series last month.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT