Latest News

West Kingston residents urged to claim funds

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!


KINGSTON, Jamaica (JIS) — Justice Minister, Delroy Chuck, is urging residents of West Kingston who suffered damage and losses as a result of the 2010 security operations to come forward to claim their compensation.

The Government has approved payment of approximately $200 million to aggrieved persons.

Chuck said that about 418 payments have been approved, which are to be deposited to bank accounts once the requisite documentations are completed and the taxpayer registration number and identifications are provided.

He said persons should visit the Restorative Justice centres in Tivoli Gardens and Denham Town, which “will be utilised to ensure beneficiaries get their compensation on time”.

“The funds are available. It was approved in the (2017/2018) Supplementary Budget... .We hope to make all the payouts in 2017,” he said.

Additionally, he indicated that $20 million will be made available to the Member of Parliament in order to restore buildings and other property damaged during the operation.

Chuck was addressing a press conference to provide an update on the status of implementation of the Tivoli Recommendations and the Compensation Committee, at his Constant Spring Road Offices in St Andrew on December 13.

To date, 42 persons have provided the information necessary to process payments.

The justice minister informed that provisions will be made for those persons without bank accounts to open one, and insisted that no cash payments will be made or cheques issued.

The $200-million figure was put forward by the Compensation Committee, which was established to investigate all claims brought by aggrieved persons, and to determine the compensation payable to injured persons and to the personal representatives of deceased persons.

Chuck indicated that close to 1,000 files were examined over nine months by the three-member committee, which consisted of Chairman, Retired Justice Seymour Panton; Reverend Herro Blair Jr; and Reverend Rennard White.

Chuck informed that Cabinet has accepted the recommendations of the committee to provide redress as well as promote justice and restore trust and confidence in the State.

He noted that the first step had already been undertaken by the prime minister in an apology delivered in Parliament on December 6.

“Recognising that great injury, hurt, damage and major dislocation occurred; (we) wanted to send a signal that, having made this apology... we accept that whatever compensation is provided will not take away the suffering and the scars.

“But to the extent we can do our part, what we consider amelioration or some mitigation of the hurt, is what the Government is doing at this time,” Chuck added.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT