Latest News

Man convicted in 2015 slaying of Jamaican-born aide to NY governor

Friday, July 20, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


NEW YORK, United States (CMC) – A jury in a New York court on Thursday found a 33-year-old man guilty of the death of Jamaican lawyer Carey Gabay, a former legal aide to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo during the Caribbean J'ouvert celebration on Labour Day 2015.

Though prosecutors had argued for a murder conviction, jurors in the Brooklyn Supreme Court instead reached a second degree manslaughter conviction against Kenny Bazile.

The Brooklyn, New York resident was also found guilty of criminal possessions of a weapon.

Cuomo said Gabay, 43, the first deputy general counsel at a state economic development agency, “was an inspiring public servant whose life was cut short by senseless gun violence.

“I hope this guilty verdict gives them [Gabay's family] some comfort that justice has been served,” he said in a statement.

Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez told Gabay's family: “Our hearts go out to you. I know today's verdict was difficult.

“But he was held responsible, and we're going to make sure that the next set of defendants are also held accountable,” Gonzalez assured.

Sam Karliner, Bazile's lawyer said his client faces up to 15 years in jail on the involuntary manslaughter charge, when he is sentenced on September 12.

He, however, said he will appeal Bazile's conviction.

“I don't want to say I disagree with it, but I think reckless endangerment would've been a better verdict,” Karliner told reporters after Thursday's verdict.

Bazile was the sixth man charged with the Gabay's murder.

“We have made a promise to the family of Carey Gabay to hold accountable everyone who took part in the shootout that took his life,” said Gonzalez, who traces his roots to Puerto Rico.

In June 2016, Micah Alleyne, 26, of Jamaica, Queens; Tyshawn Crawford, 22, of East New York, Brooklyn; and Keith Luncheon, 25, of Crown Heights, Brooklyn were indicted for murder and related charges for their alleged role in the shooting.

A fourth defendant, Kenny Bazile, 32, was indicted on similar charges in September 2016, Gonzalez said.

Stanley Elianor, 26, of Brownsville, Brooklyn, was also charged with second-degree murder, four counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and first-degree reckless endangerment in Gabay's murder.

Gonzalez said Elianor faces a maximum sentence of 40 years to life in prison if convicted of the top count with which he is charged.

The defendant was previously arraigned in October 2015 with criminal possession of a weapon for allegedly having a loaded machine gun at the scene.

Gonzalez said further investigation revealed that he allegedly also fired a small caliber gun, inciting additional violence, as warring gang members engaged in a gun battle.

He said that, according to the investigation, the incident took place during the early morning hours of September 7, 2015 in front of 1680Bedford Avenue, which is part of the Ebbets Field Houses in Crown Heights, Brooklyn.

At the time of the shooting, Gonzalez said the patio and street in front of the building were filled with hundreds of people, many of whom were celebrating J'ouvert, a traditional predawn festival that precedes the annual West Indian American Day Parade.

Gonzalez said the building's large patio was known to be controlled by the Folk Nation street gang, “which has been engaged in a year-long war with the 8-Trey faction of the Crips gang,” among others.

At about 3:40 am, he said a group of 8-Trey members walked up from Montgomery Street, apparently heading toward the J'ouvert procession on Empire Boulevard, about two blocks to the south.

“Their presence in 'enemy territory' sparked a gun battle betweenFolk Nation members and their affiliates, who were shooting from the street and the patio, and the 8-Trey members who fired from the street before fleeing north,” Gonzalez said. “An estimated two to three dozen shots were fired in two consecutive volleys from at least eight firearms, according to the investigation.”

At the same time, Gonzalez said Gabay was walking north on Bedford Avenue with his brother and a couple of friends after attending the J'ouvert procession.

“They happened upon the front of the patio just as the gunfight broke out,” Gonzalez said. “The group ran to a parking lot located between the patio and the street and ducked near parked cars.

“A bullet struck Mr Gabay in the head, and he was taken to Kings County Hospital Center [in Brooklyn], where he died a week later, on September 15, 2015,” Gonzalez said.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT