Click here to print page

At last, good sense prevails in West Indies cricket

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Even the humble sometimes have a hard time saying 'sorry'.

It becomes so much harder when the people involved have big egos.

That probably explains why it took nine months for the president of Cricket West Indies, Mr Dave Cameron, and top West Indies cricketer, Mr Darren Bravo, to resolve their 'Big Idiot' impasse.

As many people – not least those who follow cricket – will be aware, the sour episode started last November when Mr Cameron erroneously told regional television that Mr Bravo had been on an 'A' contract with the then West Indies Cricket Board (now Cricket West Indies), and had not done well.

As it turned out, Mr Bravo – arguably the top West Indies batsman of recent years – had never been given an 'A' contract by cricket's regional governing body.

Mr Bravo lashed out in fury, referring to Mr Cameron as a 'big idiot' on the popular social media forum, Twitter . Not unexpectedly, West Indies cricket management responded by sending home Mr Bravo from a tour of Asia. Mr Bravo was also told to apologise and remove his tweet. Since Mr Bravo refused on both counts, he has not played for the West Indies since.

There was even news that he had taken the cricket board to court over the matter.

Yet from the beginning it was very clear that what was needed was an appropriate apology from both sides.

It is typical of the kind of foolishness that exists in West Indies cricket that it has taken nine months for simple, straightforward statements of apology to come from both parties.

In the interim, Mr Bravo – who was in fine batting form at the time of his ouster – has been on the sidelines as the West Indies team continued its familiar struggles on the field of play.

The West Indies are due for a One Day International (ODI) and Test tour of England in August and September, but apparently he is already committed to Twenty20 Caribbean Primier League next month.

We can only hope that whenever he returns to West Indies colours, he will at the very least rediscover the batting form that made him a valued asset to the embattled regional team.

We note news that the talented 21-year-old Mr Nicholas Pooran has been re-embraced by Cricket West Indies after being suspended last year for unprofessional conduct.

And just to add more good news, we are hearing that Cricket West Indies are on the verge of abandoning their archaic eligibility rule which has made the region's leading stars unavailable for selection for ODI and Test teams. No doubt, the real danger of West Indies missing out on the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup, just as it did the recent Champions Trophy competition in England, has played a role.

However, this newspaper thinks it is appropriate to say thanks to all the wise heads and honest brokers within and outside of Cricket West Indies who are bringing good sense to bear.