Pay but not play from Digicel

TELL Claudienne

Claudienne Edwards

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!

Dear Claudienne:

On October 18, 2016, I signed up with Digicel for cable, internet and telephone service. I selected the Play Strong package and was required to make a deposit of $3,000.

After making the payment I told the salesperson that as soon as I had a television set up in the apartment, I would call for installation of the service and she agreed. I am the owner of this apartment which had been vacant for nine months prior to that date.

I called Digicel about a week later and was told that arrangements were in progress. I heard nothing for a while so I called back. This time I was told that the salesperson would be there on the following Tuesday, but she never came. When I called her, she said she had gone to another apartment in error.

I never heard from her again, and when I called I was told that a problem existed because the previous tenant owed for service and had not terminated the contract with Digicel.

On Sunday, November 13, 2016, I received a call from Digicel at 7:40 am offering me service from another apartment. I refused this, as I felt that there was both an ethical and a legal issue involved.

Since then, my sister MM and I have done some research. We have learnt that someone is paying Digicel for service based in my apartment, which means that I cannot get service in the apartment I own.

I am not sure that Digicel personnel have a grasp of the questions we are asking.

How can you encumber someone’s space, deny service and refuse to close the irregular arrangement that exists with a non-occupant?

I trust you may be able to offer me some assistance.


Dear GI:

Tell Claudienne
has discussed your concerns with Digicel.

Digicel Play has sent us a response that states the following:

"We have been in contact with GI’s sister, MM, who has been speaking to us on her behalf while we worked on resolving the issue.

"Unfortunately, our checks showed that we are unable to provide GI with service to her apartment at this time. As such, we have refunded her deposit of $3,000 in full, and we apologise for any misunderstanding.

"We are always focused on improving the service we offer to customers, and we would like to thank the Jamaica Observer for allowing us the opportunity to respond."


Best wishes.

Dear Claudienne:


I worked with a married couple as their housekeeper from 1996 to November 15, 2016. I was paid by the husband. After he got a stroke my employment was terminated. When I was fired I was owed one week’s pay and I had to sue them at the Sutton Street court to get the money.

I went to the Ministry of Labour where a meeting was set up with my employer’s wife. At the meeting she told the ministry that her husband who had employed me was sick and had given away all his money. She told the ministry that I had not been fired and could come back to work for them. However, I do not like how I was treated when I worked for them, and I do not want to return to the job.

Considering how long I worked for them, could you please find out from the ministry if I am due redundancy pay.


Dear LC:

The officer in the Pay and Conditions unit of the ministry who dealt with your case told
Tell Claudienne that your former employer’s wife said at the meeting that her husband now suffers from dementia. She said that the National Workers Union (NWU) represented you at the meeting, but you did not take the union representative’s advice.

She said that your former employer’s wife said that you had not been fired, and could return to the job. The Pay and Conditions officer said that she and the NWU representative advised you to return to the job, as the ministry would have put in place an agreement that would have had a "no victimisation" clause. This agreement would have allowed you to receive payment for the period from the time you stopped working up to the time you would have returned to the job.

She argued that if you returned to the job and the employers eventually gave a reason why they could not continue to employ you, the ministry could then help you to claim payment for your years of service. She said although you were cautioned by the NWU officer, you insisted that you would not return to the job.

She said that if you change your mind, you can come back to see her.

Please inform us of your decision.

We wish you all the best.


Have a problem with a store, utility, or company? Telephone 936-9346 or write to: Tell Claudienne c/o Sunday Finance, Jamaica Observer, 40-42 1/2 Beechwood Avenue, Kingston 5; or Please include a contact phone number.




Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon