Business

BA chief raps border control delays at Heathrow

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


LONDON, England (AP) — The head of British Airways is urging the British Government to tackle the long delays faced by non-European passengers at Europe's busiest airport — London's Heathrow — or risk discouraging them from coming to its shores.

In a letter Monday to the Times of London, CEO Alex Cruz says two-hour immigration lines are the norm now for many non-European travellers at Heathrow.

His letter was prompted by reports that the British Government is considering putting in special fast-track lanes for UK passport holders only. Cruz says doing this without solving other delays sends a poor message for a country trying to prove it was open for business as it prepares to leave the 28-nation European Union next year.

He described the immigration situation at Heathrow as a “farce”, calling it worse than any other European airport.

“What kind of message does this send, as we try to build links outside the EU?” he wrote.

Last month, some passengers at Heathrow's Terminal four were forced to wait three hours before being processed at immigration because of what Heathrow chief executive John Holland-Kaye said was a “lack of staffing” during England's second-round World Cup football game against Colombia.

The Home Office said this was partially because of a computer failure and because of officers dealing with a high number of vulnerable adults and children.

Up to 40 million people arrive at Heathrow each year. Between January and June 2018, the Home Office says more than 95 per cent of all passengers arriving at Heathrow seeking entry to the UK have been handled within their target times.

Those times are 25 minutes for passengers from EU countries and a few other European nations, and 45 minutes for anyone else.

But according to Cruz, last year Heathrow missed its target for the second group more than 8,000 times and this year it has already missed it more than 6,000 times.

In response, the Home Office defended its stance.

“We understand the frustration for those who have experienced longer waits and remain fully committed to working with our partners to reduce waiting times as far as is possible,” it said in a statement. “At the same time, we will not compromise the essential checks we carry out at the border, which keep our country safe.”

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT